Contrasting Thoughts!

If you follow me on Twitter, you will know that my latest forays into painting have been heavily leaning on GW’s Contrast Paint range. Having done more than a couple of models this way now, I fancied getting some words down on my thoughts 🙂

First things first, I am not using any of the contrast primers – I am sticking with my old reliable Halfords grey primer, which I am lightening and adding some contrast to by putting my primed models through a white “dampbrush” to add the highlights to edges and protruding areas (kinda like a drybrush, but very slightly wetter and with more paint involved). This leaves my models looking a bit like this:

I have then been using the Contrast Iyanden Yellow for specific areas of colour, before doing the guns in GW Leadbelcher. Hippolyta doesn’t have any guns, so I used the metallic on her sword instead…

I then paint the rest of the model (excluding skin and hair) with Contrast Black Templar. The Contrast Black over the metal gives a very nice finish to the guns that looks different to the rest of the clothing without being too much extra work. I didn’t want to do Hippolyta’s sword in the black like the guns, so did the same trick with Contrast Talassar Blue instead, for a similar effect.

An example of the black over metallic effect on the guns, here is a closer look at one from a different model:

To vary skin tones amongst my O-12 troops, I have been semi-randomly choosing the Contrast Guilliman Flesh (seen on the Gangbuster below) and using my old Tallarn Flesh with Ogryn Flesh wash. Because I wanted to keep Hippolyta with her Mediterranean background, I opted for the Tallarn Flesh + Wash.

For the hair, I have been choosing random colours from my brighter Contrast paints to go full-on anime hair (below) to great effect. However, again looking at Hippolyta’s background, I have opted for more of the Contrast Black (2 coats) to keep her hair suitably dark.

Lastly, I have been using my GW Layer Troll Slayer Orange to add some more colour to the models, picking out shoulder pads or armoured plates. I have tended to avoid any on the chest regions though as I wanted this scheme to be straightforward and simple and replicatable, and the variance of getting future models holding their weaponry across their chest made this potentially a lot more awkward!

For any tactical rocks or tech pieces, and following the mantra for keeping it simple, I have done Leadbelcher on any tech pieces, and then used Contrast Space Wolf Grey on these objects to give them a little more definition. Finishing up, I then paint the base black and add orange LoF markings.

I have really enjoyed using the Contrast Paints, and will certainly be looking to add more of the range to my collection. Whilst they have me pumping out models faster than I have done in a very long time, they require more care and attention than most would assume at first glance. This is mainly down to the need to paint within the lines – you can’t just slather it on, as you lose the ability to paint over mistakes due to how thin the paints are – you really are relying on that undercoat to do a lot of the heavy lifting and shading. Looking forwards, I will definitely be continuing the use of these paints for my 28mm scale models, but I think that I am going to have to be a lot more considered in my approach for my larger Judgement models. They certainly have a place and application (furs and other highly textured areas), but I doubt their usefulness on the larger, flatter, areas that are common to that scale.

All in all, this whole process (including all the photos) took somewhere between 90 – 105 mins.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Proudly powered by WordPress | Theme: Baskerville 2 by Anders Noren.

Up ↑